Small company logo:
>
>
 
W.J. Langlois: A Profile


WILFRED JOSEPH  Langlois
1890-1971: PROFILE OF OUR NAMESAKE
W. J. Langlois School was named after Monseigneur Wilfred Joseph Langlois who was born on November 24, 1890 in Windsor, Ontario. He was the second child born to his family. His early ancestors were from Rouen, France and arrived in the Windsor-Detroit area in the time of Cadillac, during the 1700's.
    Wilfred Joseph Langlois was ordained a priest in May 29, 1915 and he then became an assistant to Msgr. Thomas West in St. Thomas Ontario. In September 1918, he was assigned to a parish in the Windsor area, and he was later appointed to St. Rose of Lima in the Riverside. In 1942, he became the pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary Parish, and was also named the Dean of Essex. A few years later in 1947, Father Langlois was named Domestic Prelate, in recognition of his many years of service to the Church.
      From 1956 to 1958 Msgr. Langlois served as pastor of St. Joseph's Parish in River Canard (shown in background) before returning again to Our Lady of the Rosary. In 1964 he was relieved of his duties due to poor health. Bishop Carter once called him "one of the giants of the priesthood." St. Wilfrid School, and W.J. Langlois School were named after him. On December 13, 1970, Msgr. Langlois was the guest of honour at the first open house for our school when it was built. He died less than a year later on October 19, 1971 at the age of 80 and now rests in St. Alphonsus Cemetery in Windsor.


Top of Page